Northern Nevada Breast Cancer Collaborative
The Northern Nevada Breast Cancer Collaborative consists of health care providers, radiologists, breast surgeons, and advocates who have been working together to implement conistent recommendations and strategies in an effort to improve our region's breast cancer screening rates, decrease late-stage breast cancer diagnosis, and improve time from diagnosis to treatment.
It is estimated that 2,190 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in Nevada in 2019 and 400 lives will be lost to this disease. Nevada's mammography rate remains below the national average of 72.4%, currently sitting at 67%. In addition to other factors, the numerous and significantly different screening mammography guidelines has resulted in conflicting recommendations from physicians and created uncertainty for women. As such, our region has adopted the most recent evidenced-based recommendations from the American Society of Breast Surgeons (ASBrS) released in May 2019.
ASBrS Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations:
- Women age >25 should undergo formal risk assessment for breast cancer
- Women with an average risk of breast cancer should initiate yearly screening mammograph at age 40
- Women with a higher-than-average risk of breast cancer should undergo yearly screening mammography and be offered yearly supplemental imaging; this screening should be initiated at a risk-based age
- Screening mammography should cease when life expectancy is <10 years
For the official ASBrS statement: https://www.breastsurgeons.org/docs/statements/Position-Statement-on-Screening-Mammography.pdf
By collaborating as a region, we can provide the best care to our patients and achieve better ourtcomes, increasing quality of life in our communities. If you and/or your organization are in support of these recommendations, please reach out to Brigette Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your name added to the Letter of Support.
Letter of Support: /sites/default/files/Provider%20BC%20letter.pdf
Paint Nevada Pink Event
Join the Northern Nevada Breast Cancer Collaborative as we "Paint Nevada Pink" on Wednesday, October 2, 2019 with a press event under the Reno Arch that will be lighted pink for the month of October. This event will celebrate our region's collaboration and serve to raise awareness regarding breast cancer screening for women. We are looking for sponsors for this event, if you or your organization are interested in becoming a sponsor please fill out this form by September 15, 2019.
Your sponsorship of this event includes:
- Organization listed in all event promotions
- Photo opportunity under the arch with your designated representative holding a sign for your organization
- Access to the event
To join the efforts of the collaborative or for questions regarding the event, please contact Brigette Cole, Programs Manager, at email@example.com or call 775-737-4056.