ASCO Education: Genetics and Genomics Course Collection
This 15-course collection reviews the genetic basis of cancer and the role of genetics and genomics in precision oncology. It provides a comprehensive look at hereditary cancer genetics, discussing risk assessment, diagnosis, and treatment for a range of hereditary cancers and syndromes. Additional areas of focus include genetic and genomic testing technologies, interpretation of genetics and genomics test results, genetics and genomics counseling, and informed consent for genetic testing.
- Describe the role of genetics in cancer susceptibility and development
- Discuss hereditary cancer predisposition and principles for cancer risk assessment
- Examine how to recognize and manage hereditary cancers and syndromes such as breast and ovarian cancer syndrome, hereditary pancreatic cancer, polyposis syndromes, hereditary gastric cancer, hereditary prostate cancer, hereditary melanoma, and less common hereditary cancers
- Describe the process of counseling and assent/consent for genetic testing in people with suspected cancer predisposition
- Review the use of different genomic and genetic testing technologies in the care of oncology patients, including indications for testing, selection of appropriate tests, and interpretation of test results