GOAL: Improve quality of life for those diagnosed with cancer.
From the time of cancer diagnosis a person is considered a survivor and continues to be one for the remainder of their life. Partners working together on the Survivorship Task Force have a goal to improve Nevada cancer survivors’ quality of life through increased awareness, education, and access to survivorship resources and services, as well as palliative care, while also increasing knowledge of both survivorship and palliative care among health care professionals. This goal along with objectives and proposed strategies is outlined in the Nevada Cancer Plan.
Quality of Life Objectives:
- Expand clinical and non-clinical supportive resources available to survivors.
- Increase educational opportunities for current and future health care professionals and other support personnel to learn about best practices in survivorship.
- Increase equitable access to palliative care services in hospitals.
Staff Lead and Co-Chairs:
Amy Thompson, Cancer Survivorship Programs Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Danielle Bello, Director of Behavioral Health and Long-Term Survivorship Clinic, Cure 4 The Kids Foundation
Marinela "Nela" Maskuti, MPH, UNLV School of Public Health
Meetings are held virtually in February, May, August, and November on the 3rd Thursday from 3 – 4:30 p.m.
Task Force and Collaborative Resources:
Survivorship Task Force Resources
Task Force Accomplishments:
- Identified support resources for survivors and created a statewide resource list for "Life after Treatment - Survivorship."
- Held provider and allied health professional webinar to improve communication/assist with having difficult conversations.
- Developed Project ECHO Cancer Survivorship Series for Primary Care Providers.
- Developed and launched ThriveNV program and website:
- Patient navigation service began May 1, 2020 offering free navigation with a focus on rural communities. The program collaborates with statewide partners to help people overcome barriers to accessing cancer care and resources - aimed at filling a gap in our state.
- Formed the Oncology Navigation Network in August 2020 to bring together those working in oncology navigation and case management in Nevada, increasing collaboration, support, and statewide resource sharing. Network membership increased in 2022 to nearly 100.
- Built statewide peer-to-peer support program in April 2021 in partnership with Imerman Angels.
- In 2022, launched statewide advertising and promotional campaign for ThriveNV to increase visits to website and calls for navigation services.
Members & Organizations:
24/7 APOLLO Healthcare Inc.
Access to Healthcare Network
American Cancer Society and ACS-CAN
American Childhood Cancer Organization/Candlelighters
American Lung Association
B. Eliot Cole, MD
Barbara Greenspun WomensCare Center and ACT After
Bristlecone Family Resources
Cancer Care Specialists
Cancer Community Clubhouse
Carson Tahoe Hospital - Cancer Center
Community Health Alliance
Comprehensive Cancer Centers of Nevada
Cure 4 The Kids Foundation
Dignity Health Neighborhood Hospitals
FirstMed Health & Wellness
Gene Upshaw Tahoe Forest Cancer Center
HCA Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Iris' Hope for Ovarian Cancer
NAACP Reno-Sparks Branch #1112
Nathan Adelson Hospice
Nevada Cancer Research Foundation
Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation - The Caring Place
Nevada Division of Public & Behavioral Health
Nevada Fertility Advocates
Nevada Health Centers
Nevada Minority Health & Equity Coalition
Northern Nevada Children's Cancer Foundation
Northern Nevada Sierra Medical Center
Optum Care/OptumCare Breast Care Program
Procare Hospice of Nevada
Queensridge Family Medicine
R.E.D. Rose Program
Renown Health & Renown Institute for Cancer
Rhesus Group, LLC
Saint Mary's Health Network
Saint Mary's Radiation Oncology
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Mountain View
Silver Lining, Las Vegas
St. Rose Dominican
Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center
Susan G. Komen Nevada
The Center Foundation, Reno
Tuff Cancer Care Ministry
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
University Medical Center of Southern Nevada
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
UNR Center for the Application of Substance Abuse Technologies (CASAT)
UNR School of Medicine
YMCA of Southern Nevada