GOAL: Improve quality of life for those diagnosed with cancer.
Partners working together on the Survivorship Task Force have a goal to improve Nevada cancer survivors’ quality of life through increased awareness, education, and access to survivorship resources and services, as well as palliative care, while also increasing knowledge of both survivorship and palliative care among health care professionals.
Quality of Life Objectives:
- Expand clinical and non-clinical supportive resources available to survivors.
- Increase educational opportunities for current and future health care professionals and other support personnel to learn about best practices in survivorship.
Staff Lead and Co-Chairs:
Amy Thompson, Cancer Survivorship Programs Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Danielle Bello, Director of Behavioral Health and Long-Term Survivorship Clinic, Cure 4 The Kids Foundation
Marinela "Nela" Maskuti, MPH, UNLV School of Public Health
Dawn Creech, Survivor, Caregiver
Meetings are held virtually every other month (February, April, June, August, October, & December), on the 3rd Thursday from 3 – 4:30 p.m.
Task Force and Collaborative Resources:
Task Force Accomplishments:
- Developed Project ECHO Cancer Survivorship Series for Primary Care Providers.
- Developed and launched ThriveNV program and website:
- Patient navigation service began May 1, 2020 offering free navigation with a focus on rural communities. The program collaborates with statewide partners to help people overcome barriers to accessing cancer care and resources - aimed at filling a gap in our state.
- Formed the Oncology Navigation Network in August 2020 to bring together those working in oncology navigation and case management in Nevada, increasing collaboration, support, and statewide resource sharing.
- Built statewide peer-to-peer support program in April 2021 in partnership with Imerman Angels.
Members & Organizations:
American Cancer Society and ACS-CAN
Cancer Community Clubhouse
Comprehensive Cancer Centers of Nevada
Nevada Division of Public & Behavioral Health
Iris' Hope for Ovarian Cancer
Nathan Adelson Hospice
Optum Care/OptumCare Breast Care Program
Saint Mary's Health Network
Silver Lining, Las Vegas
Susan G. Komen Nevada
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
UNR Center for the Application of Substance Abuse Technologies (CASAT)
Barbara Greenspun WomensCare Center and ACT After
Carson Tahoe Hospital - Cancer Center
Cure 4 The Kids Foundation
Gene Upshaw Tahoe Forest Cancer Center
Nevada Cancer Research Foundation
Saint Mary's Radiation Oncology
St. Rose Dominican
The Center Foundation, Reno
University Medical Center of Southern Nevada
UNR School of Medicine
Cancer Care Specialists
Community Health Alliance
Dignity Health Neighborhood Hospitals
HCA Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
NAACP Reno-Sparks Branch #1112
Nevada Minority Health & Equity Coalition
Renown Health & Renown Institute for Cancer
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Mountain View
Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center
Tuff Cancer Care Ministry
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
YMCA of Southern Nevada