GOAL: Increase early detection of cancers to reduce late-stage diagnosis.
The Early Detection Task Force and its Collaboratives include partners across the state working together to increase the percentage of Nevadans screened for breast, cervical, colorectal and lung cancers through education, policy, and systems changes that increase awareness for cancer risk factors and screening guidelines and improve equitable access to screening.
Early Detection Objectives:
- Increase the percentage of adults screened for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers.
- Increase the percentage of identified smokers who report having been screened for lung cancer.
Staff Lead and Co-Chairs:
Cassie Goodman, Cancer Early Detection Programs Manager email@example.com
Task Force Sub-Groups:
Breast Cancer Collaborative
Partners working to implement consistent recommendations and strategies to improve breast cancer screening rates.
Co-chairs: Dr. Chivonne Harrigal, Heather Reimer, Rhonda Johnson and Dawn Creech
Colorectal Cancer Collaborative
A statewide group of partners working to reduce barriers and increase education to improve colon cancer screening rates.
Co-chairs: Kimberly Johnson, Debbie Kawcak, and Rachel Handy
Lung Cancer Collaborative
Partners working in cancer control and chronic disease who together will address lung cancer incidence, screening, survival and disparities.
Co-chairs: Dr. Chivonne Harrigal (We are looking for a co-chair, please contact Cassie)
- Early Detection Task Force meets bi-annually in January and July from 8:30 -10:30 a.m.
- Breast Cancer Collaborative meets quarterly in February, May, August, and November on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 2 - 3:30 p.m.
- Colorectal Cancer Collaborative meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October on the 4th Thursday of the month from 8:30 – 10 a.m.
- Lung Cancer Collaborative meets quarterly in March, June, September (1st Wednesday) and December on the second Wednesday of each month from 8:30 - 10 a.m.
Task Force and Collaborative Resources:
Task Force Accomplishments:
- Developed Paid Leave for Cancer Screenings Framework.
- Created Cancer Control Partnership with Nevada Medicaid MCOs.
- Collaborated with healthcare professionals across the state to implement consistent screening recommendations.
- Launched the statewide Paint Nevada Pink campaign.
- Policy presence at Nevada Legislature.
- Reconvened Southern Collaborative in February 2021.
- Secured inflatable colons for both northern and southern Nevada outreach efforts.
- Recorded informational videos with partners during March of 2021.
Members & Organizations:
Access to Healthcare Network
Cancer Care Specialists
Comprehensive Cancer Center
Douglas County Community Health
Engelstad Foundation R. E. D. Rose Program
Health Plan of Nevada (Medicaid)
Kraemer Imaging Consulting
Nevada Minority Health & Equity Coalition
Nevada Rural Hospital Partners
Pinocchio's, Moms on the Run
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
University of Nevada, Reno
Western Surgical Group
American Cancer Society
Banner Health Clinic
Carson Tahoe Cancer Center
Digestive Health Associates
Dress For Success Southern Nevada
Escalante Media Management
Nevada Primary Care Association
Northern Nevada HOPES
OptumCare Cancer Care
Reno Diagnostic Centers
Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center
Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center
UNLV School of Medicine
Anthem Nevada Medicaid
Community Health Alliance
Dignity Health Neighborhood Hospitals
Each One Tell One
Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe
HCA Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Iris' Hope for Ovarian Cancer
Nevada Health Centers
Nevada Radon Education Program
Northern Nevada Medical Center
Personalized Imaging Consultants
Reno Cancer Foundation
Reno-Sparks Tribal Health Center
Susan G. Komen
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Vera Whole Health