GOAL: Increase early detection of cancers to reduce late-stage diagnosis.
NCC's early detection collaboratives include partners across the state working together to increase the percentage of Nevadans screened for breast, cervical, colorectal and lung cancers through education, policy, and systems changes that increase awareness for cancer risk factors and screening guidelines and improve equitable access to screening. Additional activities include decreasing the number of preventable cancers by educating people on how to reduce their risk.
Early Detection Objectives:
- Increase the percentage of adults screened for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers.
- Increase the percentage of identified smokers who report having been screened for lung cancer.
Breast Cancer Collaborative
Partners working to implement consistent recommendations and strategies to improve breast cancer screening rates. This collaborative no longer meets regularly, but updates are sent to members to stay up-to-date on breast cancer-related activities and news. If you'd like to join the email list, contact Lily.
Colorectal Cancer Collaborative
A statewide group of partners working to reduce barriers and increase education to improve colon cancer screening rates.
Co-chairs: Kimberly Johnson and Debbie Kawcak
Staff Lead: Jorge Arambula, Cancer Outreach Coordinator
- January 25, 2024, 8:30-10 a.m.
- April 25, 2024, 8:30-10 a.m.
- July 25, 2024, 8:30-10 a.m.
- October 24, 2024, 8:30-10 a.m.
Lung Cancer Collaborative
Partners working in cancer control and chronic disease who together will address lung cancer prevention, incidence, screening, survival and disparities.
Co-chairs: Dr. Chivonne Harrigal and Shannon Proctor, E.D.
Staff Lead: Lily Helzer, Prevention & Early Detection Programs Manager
- 2024 Dates TBD
Early Detection Overall:
- Developed Paid Leave for Cancer Screenings Framework.
- Created Cancer Control Partnership with Nevada Medicaid MCOs.
- Collaborated with healthcare professionals across the state to implement consistent screening recommendations.
- Launched the statewide Paint Nevada Pink campaign.
- Passed SB330 during 2023 Nevada Legislative Session to expand access to breast cancer imaging.
- Secured inflatable colons for both northern and southern Nevada outreach efforts.
- Recorded informational videos with partners during March of 2021.
- Developed Lung Cancer Screening Toolkit for Nevada providers.
- Secured inflatable lungs for both northern and southern Nevada outreach efforts.
Members & Organizations:
Access to Healthcare Network
Cancer Care Specialists
Comprehensive Cancer Center
Douglas County Community Health
Engelstad Foundation R. E. D. Rose Program
Health Plan of Nevada (Medicaid)
Kraemer Imaging Consulting
Nevada Minority Health & Equity Coalition
Nevada Rural Hospital Partners
Pinocchio's, Moms on the Run
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
University of Nevada, Reno
Western Surgical Group
American Cancer Society
Banner Health Clinic
Carson Tahoe Cancer Center
Digestive Health Associates
Dress For Success Southern Nevada
Escalante Media Management
Nevada Primary Care Association
Northern Nevada HOPES
OptumCare Cancer Care
Reno Diagnostic Centers
Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center
Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center
UNLV School of Medicine
Anthem Nevada Medicaid
Community Health Alliance
Dignity Health Neighborhood Hospitals
Each One Tell One
Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe
HCA Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Iris' Hope for Ovarian Cancer
Nevada Health Centers
Nevada Radon Education Program
Northern Nevada Medical Center
Personalized Imaging Consultants
Reno Cancer Foundation
Reno-Sparks Tribal Health Center
Susan G. Komen
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Vera Whole Health