If you’re participating in outdoor sports, you’re exposed to the sun’s UV rays. It’s important to practice the 5 S’s of sun safety to keep your sports activities fun AND safe. Sports organizations also have a responsibility to ensure a safe sporting experience for players, coaches, and other participants.
Here are a few ways to make your sports activities Sun Smart:
For Sports Organizations and Coaches
- Develop a sun protection policy for leagues and teams to include approved sun safety attire (such as hats, sunglasses, and long sleeves), sunscreen, and shade.
- Consider practice and game schedules that take into account and avoid peak times of day for UV exposure.
- Offer free sunscreen near playing fields or courts.
- Provide access to shade, such as tents, canopies, or shaded dugouts, for both participants and spectators.
- Encourage league officials and coaches to be Sun Smart role models.
For Players and Participants
- Identify ways to incorporate sun-protective clothing into approved team uniforms and practice attire, including long sleeves or sun sleeves, hats, and sunglasses.
- Wear broad spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen of at least SPF 30 during outdoor sports activities and reapply at least every two hours, or more often if sweating.
If you’re interested in crafting a sun safety policy for your sports league or team, contact us to get started.